Wednesday, November 21, 2007

my scary detail scan

I went for my detail scannig at TMC today and scare the hell out of me.

My baby ger got these "bilateral choroid plexuses cysts" in her brain.
right side 5.4mm x 3.3mm and left side 10.3mm x 5.6mm.

After the scan, I went to my gynae clinic to wait for my appointment with him at 4.30pm. His operating hours start 4.30pm today. Before that i went library and check up on the cysts and discover something to do with down syndrome.

After seeing my gynae, felt more assured. Before that while i was waiting, I almost want to start crying already.

My gynae say 10 years ago, the cysts are said to be related to down syndrome, but now it is proven to be more related to trisomy 18. But if the baby has trisomy 18, there will be other very obvious signs on other organs and body struture. other than the cysts thing, my baby scan on other parts of body are alright. So he say he can be 99.99percent sure that the cysts will go away by themselves by 28weeks.

with the 99.99percent assurance from him, i felt much better, but still a part of me is very worried. should i go for a second opinion? or should i go for a 2nd scan? I am thinking of going for a 2nd scan at week 24, just to make sure the cysts disappear. There are just too many questions in my mind. Does the disappearing of the cysts means that my baby is normal, will there be any side effects that cannot be detect now becoz of the cysts?

No comments: